Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Soul Tracks

In 1967,during the midst of the Civil Rights Movement, Ebony magazine declared “This is the summer of ’Retha, Rap, and Revolt.” Aretha, relatively unknown prior to '67, was the talk of the town. Soul music reached its' maturation in the work of Aretha. Sister ReRe released two albums in '67, her magnificent Atlantic debut, I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You, and Aretha Arrives. 'Respect,' an enduring declaration of independence, became an anthem for women and one of the battle cries of the Civil Rights Movement. 'I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You,' a soul landmark, and 'Baby, I Love You' reached the top of the charts. During a recording session in February of '67, Aretha cut 5 songs, 'Drown In My Own Tears,' 'Don't Let Me Lose This Dream,' 'Respect,' 'A Change Is Gonna Come' and the passionate 'Baby Baby Baby.' 'Baby Baby Baby,' composed by Aretha and sister Carolyn , was a 1964 hit for James Brown proteges Anna King and Bobby Byrd. Aretha accompanied herself at the piano and expressed her heartbreak and undying love on the intense 'Baby Baby Baby,' sung with such passion it comes across as autobiographical.

0 comments: