Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Politics As Usual

Just My .02January 20, 2009. A day I will never forget. As I watched the inauguration, there was jubilation in my soul. A black man ascended to the highest office in the land. It felt like the ancestors were celebrating within me. Dr. King & Coretta were jumping for joy within me. Medgar Evers shed tears of happiness within me. Emmett Till stood in awe within me. Curtis Mayfield sang 'People Get Ready' within me. A Black President. A Black First Lady. A Black First Family. Genuine black love on display for the entire world to behold. A world that for so long doubted our love was authentic or relevant. Black love is black wealth.
I'm well aware that this moment transcends race and color. As Barack Obama once said, "I've always been clear that I'm rooted in the African-American community but not limited to it." Barack, a unifying force of gigantic proportions, reached out to all Americans in ways his opponents and predecessors failed to do. He changed the dynamics of politics and made Americans, young and old, black and white, Hispanic and Asian, rich and poor, feel apart of the process. We viewed Obama not as a politician but as a man who understood the plight and aspirations of average Americans during these troublesome times. For once, it genuinely feels like we've got a friend in The White House.

0 comments: