Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Soul Fixin'

VIBE: 1993-2009
The recent death of Michael Jackson is followed by the death of another urban music & cultural icon, VIBE magazine. The brainchild of legendary producer, Quincy Jones, VIBE magazine made its' debut 16 years ago. After nearly two decades in circulation, the beloved magazine has become the latest victim of the media recession. As a teenager, the thought of working at VIBE was the dream job. I still look forward to mid-month when my copy of VIBE arrives in the mailbox. VIBE was the premier magazine chronicling urban music, fashion and culture. I wonder if I'll get a refund on my two year subscription. The magazine has yet to release an official statement but it is being reported that an assistant in the office of editor in chief Danyel Smith confirmed the sad news. Goodbye, VIBE.

0 comments: